14 February 2014

The one with the GTD (Get Things Done)

  • My computers and mobile devices
    • Laptop: Macbook Air (13,1” and 128 GB model) (Circa 2012)
    • Phone: iPhone 5s (Black-Space grey). The recently-replaced iPhone was a 3 yo (3Gs). I was moving away from Blackberry since then :-).  
  • Other gadgets I use regularly
    • I used to record my voice note using Sony Digital Recorder (1 gigs), but I use my iPhone now to do that.
    • I’m still using “old skool” classic notepad to write whatever, mainly my to do list. :-) 
  • Frequently-used apps
    • Google Apps: I practically live on Google Apps system. 
      • Gmail: I use it on my MB (with Google Chrome) and on my iPhone (with standard mail app).
      • Google Calendar: I put all of my todo list and activities on my Cal (iPhone) which is connected to the Google Cal app. This is how my devices stay connected.
      • Google Docs: I use this app when I’m connected to the net, searching for some references. I always open the pdfs, docs/ppts/xls (opendable docs) with Google Docs, so that I don’t clutter my MB HDD with files that I don’t need (read: junks) . It will automatically saved in my Google Drive account. Therefore I can seek them again whenever I need.
      • Google Notes: I always my “Notes app” in my iPhone just to take note on whatever crosses my mind. The app is connected to my Google and iCloud acc, then my devices will record the same note. I can access them later on, when I need to develop it. Last but not least, do to the limited internet connection, I often use the fast line at the office, instead of at my apartment. In offline environment I always use Growly Notes (it pastes anything on your copy-path) to store my ideas, for retrieving later on. 
      • Office app: My main office app is LibreOffice. Because of its free (offcourse), and save all docs in default open document formats (to make sure it won’t catch viruses). Only a few docs I save in Microsoft formats, the selected ones that I think it is going to need collab with others (colleague) that use Ms Office.  I always share my work in pdf formats (offcourse reduce the file size before send it). 
      • Evernote: I call it the souvenir from the 21st century, and it’s free!!! I use it in my Googling journey, make article clips, page clips of what I found interesting. I often take snapshots of my notes and my sketches (from my notepad) and make a few bits of thoughts afterwards. Almost forget, I always share my “discoveries” to my students, using Evernote. I send out my article links to them so that they know what I’m thinking, and what references to use, or just light chit chat to ease their.


No comments: