02 October 2014

Auto restart problem all over again: on Trusty Tahr













(image from: www.howopensource.com)


Dear friends,

The "auto restart" problem has become a classic Linux (in my case Ubuntu) problem. After solving the problem three times, I still don't understand what's been causing it. But as a software guy, we can always blame it on the hardware right (LOL). Read also my previous article.

So, why did I get to face this problem three times?

First I have to tell you my specification:

  1. Acer Aspire V5
  2. Intel i5 (I don't really know, is it quad core or not)
  3. Nvidia Geforce GT 620M 1GB
  4. HDD 1TB
  5. Dual boot, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 (with LXDE)
The first case:
  • The first time I bought this machine, I directly made it as a dual boot, between Ubuntu 13.10 and Win XP, then I upgraded the Win to Win 7.
  • When I finished with the fresh Ubuntu installation and made my first "shutdown", then the "auto restart" behaviour happened.
  • The solution was: adding rmmod ehci_hcd line to the /etc/rc.local.shutdown.
The second case:
  • It was a case of kernel updates. An uncompleted kernel installation was the caused of this mess, as suggested by some friends.
  • Off course the first solution did not work, then the next trick was: to install laptop mode tool using the following command  sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install laptop-mode-tools.
The third case:
  • The last case (hopefully) was when I upgraded the Saucy Salamander to Trusty Tahr.
  • Finally I did this trick as suggested in the AskUbuntu
    • sudo gedit /etc/default/grub then find a line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash". Modify it to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" acpi=force apm=power_off.
    • Type in terminal sudo gedit /etc/grub/modules then add apm power_off=1. Save and close the terminal. In my case, I didn't have /etc/grub folder, so I make the folder first then make new file. If you're not good with terminal, you can use your file manager. I used "gedit" as my file editor instead of "nano" (as suggested in the link). 
    • Update the GRUB with sudo update-grub.
There you go, my three cases. Hopefully no more.

@dasaptaerwin

No comments: